Thursday, August 7, 2008

the caretaker: a berlin night creature

My name is Vladimir, Dumbledorf's night caretaker. I write this under the light and little heat from a candle. I don't want to be seen or talked to so I would rather illustrate myself through words. Most of the antics which folk of the town say are mostly correct. I do live by myself and have not talked to or been seen by another person for over sixteen years. I live a humble and content life where i live, which i will not share with you and i don't want to return to being a thread of society. When i was growing up I was the youngest four siblings in Dumbledorf. My father Harold used to viscously beat my mother in my earliest memories of my childhood until she died when I was three. No one knew about this and no one would believe the truth. My father was a proud on the surface who suffered a lot of issues, that I've never understood as i was too young and naive at the time. When I was five Harold went to war during bloody and brutal era in Germany's history. I lived at home with my two older brothers and older sister and did not go to school as there wasn't any during this time. As you can probably see I had little contact with other people apart from my siblings. Losing both of my parents at a young age made me scared of becoming close to anyone i guess as i was afraid of being hurt again. When i turned thirteen my two older brothers and my sister had all left home leaving me to look after myself. This is when i became the caretaker for the community park. I worked hard, like a machine which kept on going and going and going. I would see few people and the more i worked the more afraid of talking to someone i would get. I guess this bring me back to where i am now where i don't want to venture outside during the day time. I can sit for hours crouching in silence not even moving. sometimes leaving the house can be the greatest torture I know.

1 comment:

sean said...

i like it, its like samuel beckett, good work